Compressor performance testing
Field performance testing of centrifugal and reciprocating compressors can be a valuable opportunity to assess the base line of the unit once it is operatedfor commercial production. This is true for both new and revamped units, and can help the management team in making production plans according to the real capabilities of the machine.
Many end-users face a gap between expected design performances and “as-tested” ones. If new compressors are shop-tested before they are shipped to site, why should the performance test be repeated in site?
The main reasons to conduct a field performance test are:
- determine the actual performance characteristics of the unit when it is installed in the pipeline and operated with the actual process gas.
- verify the behaviour of the compressor once it is coupled with other components, such as coolers and scrubbers and the pipeline itself.
- verify if the compressor meets the specifications of the applicable purchase contract, therefore if liquidated damages or “make good” actions are required.
SINT Technology is certified by the Italian accreditation body ACCREDIA for the execution of ASME PTC 10 performance tests.
Providing experience and reliability, SINT Technology helps its Customers to assess the following main parameters of their compressors:
- actual compressor map (maximum capacity / surge line)
- polytropic/isentropic efficiency
- polytropic/isentropic head
- compressor absorbed power
SINT Technology provides advanced metrological services, comprehending:
- Supply and rental of high-accuracy measurement instrumentation
- Calibration certificates traceable to EA-ILAC
- Design of special measure and instruments for non-standard applications
- Sensors installation and data acquisition
- Test uncertainty calculation
The Performance Test Department of SINT Technology supports Customers with:
- assistance in interpretation of contract requirements and application of ISO/ASME/DIN international standards to guarantee
- Performance testing design
- Thermodynamic modelling of the machine or plant for performance curves editing
- Test procedures according to ASME PTC or ISO codes and customer needs
- Coordination and organization of all Parties involved in testing (EPC, suppliers, final customer)