The automatic system for measurement of residual stresses, RESTAN (Residual Stress Analyzer)-MTS3000, patented, produced and developed by SINT Technology, allows full but simple residual stress testing by the hole-drilling strain gauge method.
The tests can be conducted in accordance with the ASTM E837-13 standard for uniform and non-uniform stress distributions. With a suitable acquisition strategy (fine hole drilling) and an appropriate analysis method (Integral or Kockelmann), it is also possible to reconstruct the residual stress variation with depth even very near the surface.
The main features of the RESTAN-MTS3000 system are:
High-speed drilling technology (350,000-400,000 rpm), with a compressed air turbine
Straightforward, automatic and fast to use
Suitable for both laboratory and field applications
Evaluation of residual stresses in depth
Possibility to choose between data processing
and analysis methods (ASTM E837-13, Integral, Kockelmann)
In addition, the system offers the following advantages:
- Automatic acquisition of strains
- Running of testing, data processing and corrections executed by PC
- The microscope and drilling tool are both fitted in the same apparatus
- Automatic determination of the initial drilling point by electrical contact
- Possibility of measuring the actual hole diameter and eccentricity
- Possibility of measuring near corners and walls
- Choice of a wide database of strain gauge rosettes
- Extension of the ASTM E837-13 standard to all strain gauge rosettes commercially available by means of coefficient matrices calculated by FEM analysis.
- Possibility of measuring residual stresses also into composite materials, polymeric materials and plastic materials with simple modification of the system.
Customized solutions are also available, including:
- Electric motor powered drilling system for measurements if a compressed air supply is not available or if testing on polymeric materials.
- Modified drilling head for testing inside small diameter pipes with a USB microscope for centering and measuring the hole diameter.
request a quote